The Timaru Courthouse project involved two significant stages. Stage one was the construction of a new 2000 square metre courtroom complex and stage two was the renovation and earthquake strengthening of the original courthouse constructed in 1877.
The Timaru Courthouse remained in operation throughout the project. The programme commenced with the demolition of parts of the existing building and the alteration of existing services which then allowed for the relocation of staff and holding cells. This in turn allowed for the construction of the new main courthouse building without interruption to any essential court sessions or services.
The Minstry of Justice occupied stage one on time and on the date agreed at contract award. The 1877 original building was then successfully renovated maintaining many heritage features.